Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Off to a Rolling Start...

Today...is a good day...

Where do I start?

My 9-year-old son came home from school, "Mom, I have something for you..." He hands me a book. "Here, now you can read it before you see it in the theatre." My son knows (heck, most my family and friends know) that I am a children's book fiend, and film buff!! He borrowed Coraline from his library for me...what a SWEET kid!!!

When it was posted on the Fiskateers board about Poverty in America Awareness month, I felt a need to help out. They are collecting socks...now I am collecting socks...but in Oregon, it is also Scottish Heritage Month, and since I am also active with the NW St. Andrew's Society I thought this would be a good way for them to give back to the community as well...so after getting the go ahead from the NW St. Andrew's Society board, I called the Kilt & Thistle Scottish Shop. They agreed to be a drop-off center for the socks. Then, I called HOME Youth & Resource center and told them my idea...they were so excited and appreciative and I haven't even given them anything yet...but that makes me even more passionate about this project! The socks will be going to homeless youth...I think it is the least we can do for these kids!

Over the past 3 days, I have made 19 Holiday Cards thanks to a challenge issued by Fiskateer Lead Rebecca...I love the push...I just may actually get things done on time in 2009...which puts this year off to a rolling start!

2 comments:

Cat said...

I love Coraline! It's been a few years since I read it and I'm going to reread before we go see it next month! It's going to be our anniversary movie! hehe. I love Neil Gaiman. He's just wonderful and the movies made from his works rarely live up to the original piece.

The sock collection work you're doing sounds fabulous! Keep up the hard work! There will be so many warm little "piggies" (this little piggy went to the market....).

Sara said...

Great work with the socks! I've got Coraline on reserve...I'm a children's book/juvenile lit fan, myself! We should get together...